Switch banks?

We have compiled these questions using input from several different areas including the Regions Customer Service department. However, please remember that a the "How do I?" section is simply a listing of frequently asked questions.

If your question is not answered here, feel free to call us at 1-800-REGIONS (1-800-734-4667).




What should I do to have my paycheck deposited electronically into my Regions checking account?
We are providing you a Direct Deposit Authorization Form that you can complete and sign to authorize the payroll switch. Click here for the Switch Kit.



What should I do to have my Social Security payment directly deposited into my Regions checking account
For Social Security direct deposits, call the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213 or go to www.ssa.gov/deposit/howtosign.htm.



What should I do to have payments that are automatically deducted from my old checking account transferred to my new Regions account?
We are providing an Automatic Payment Form to have any drafts/automatic payments transferred to your Regions account. Once you have cancelled the draft we can also set up new automatic deductions for you in RegionsNet Online Banking with Bill Pay, so you'll have more control over them. Download the form by clicking here.



What should I do if I have trouble with switching my account?
Call a Regions Banker at 1-800-REGIONS if you need help.



Where can I get more Automatic Payment and Direct Deposit forms?
You can print more forms by clicking here and downloading a pdf of all forms. Or, call a Regions Banker at 1-800-REGIONS.



How do I close my previous checking account?
We are providing you an Account Closing Form to get your previous account closed. Download the form by clicking here.