Eligibility FAQs


Read answers to frequently asked questions about general eligibility, change in status and dependent audit.

Change in Status

What benefits changes can I make with qualifying event?

Any changes to your benefits must be consistent with the qualifying event. This simply means that a benefit election change must be on account of” and “correspond with” a Change in Status event that affects eligibility for coverage under an employer's plan.

For example, if you are adding a dependent due to the birth of a child, all benefit elections must be consistent with adding a new child. You could not, for instance, add vision insurance for your spouse, because it is not on account of and does not correspond with the birth of a child qualifying life event. You cannot change the type of medical coverage (Core/Advantage) you have selected until the next open enrollment period. See the Change in Status Chart for list of changes that are allowed for each qualifying event.

Can I pick any date for my benefit changes to be effective?

No, any benefit changes you make are effective the date of your qualifying event. For example, if you got married on May 1, 2019, your spouse’s benefits coverage will be effective on May 1, 2019. If your spouse’s health benefits end on June 15, 2019, and you request for them to be added to your benefits, their coverage will be effective June 15, 2019.

Important: You are not allowed to pick a date other than the day your qualifying event occurred. Selecting the wrong date will delay the processing and approval of your Change in Status.

If you have further questions about the effective date of your qualifying event or the types of changes you can make please call the HR Connect Team at 1-877-562-8383.
I have not yet received proof of my event. What do I do if I won’t have it by the due date? 

You must submit your Change in Status request in Workday within 31 days of the event. Please call Corporate Benefits after you have submitted your request and let them know if you will not be able to obtain documentation before your 31-day deadline. Your request will not be processed until the documentation is received, but you will have met the 31-day requirement, and your change will be back-dated to the date of the event.

Can I send copies of my documentation or must I send originals? 

Paper copies of your documentation are not needed. You will attach an electronic copy of your supporting documentation to your Change in Status request in Workday once you have created your event.

What will Corporate Benefits do with my documents?

All documentation will be reviewed for accuracy and eligibility and then stored securely in Workday under your personal information tab. The information submitted is confidential and will not be disclosed except as necessary to provide benefits coverage or otherwise required by law.

How will I know that my request has been processed?

After your request has been approved and you have made all necessary changes in Workday, you can view your benefits confirmation in Workday using the Benefits button. Benefit confirmations can be printed. You will not receive a confirmation email. 

 What should I do if I or one of my dependents has a need for medical benefits prior to my coverage being set up? 

If you or a family member needs medical care prior to your benefits being set up, you must pay out of pocket for any services rendered. Once your coverage is activated you will be able to file for reimbursement through the insurance provider. A reimbursement form can be found on the Documents and Forms page.

I recently canceled/lost my benefits coverage. When will I receive a Certificate of Creditable Coverage verifying that my health coverage has ended? 

Certificates of Creditable Coverage are no longer required due to the Affordable Care Act and the termination of preexisting condition limitations. Therefore, these are no longer sent by BCBS.

You can print a Proof of Health Coverage Letter from your myBlueCross account or call BCBS Customer Service at 1-888-850-3276 if you cannot print one.
My dependent child is no longer eligible for benefits because he/she has turned 26. What happens to their benefits coverage? 

Benefits coverage will end for your child on the last day of the month in which they turn 26. They will be eligible for continuation coverage through COBRA. A COBRA package will be mailed to your home address within 45 days from the date coverage ends.

General Eligibility Questions

My spouse has a court order to provide benefits coverage for his/her children. Can I add them to my coverage? 

No, because the order is directed at your spouse and not you, the associate. 

My divorce decree states that I must provide benefits coverage for my ex-spouse. Can they continue to be covered under my benefits? 

No. An ex-spouse is not eligible for coverage under your benefit plans, regardless of the divorce decree. You must submit a Change in Status request in Workday to remove your ex-spouse from your coverage. Your ex-spouse may be eligible for COBRA continuation coverage if your divorce was finalized within the past 60 days. You may contact Corporate Benefits for more information about COBRA eligibility.

Can I cover my grandchild/other child under the Regions benefits plans if I do not have a court order, but claim them as a dependent on my taxes? 

No. You must have legal custody of all dependents, and a court order signed by a judge stating such, to cover them under the Regions benefits plans.

Dependent Audit Questions

Why is this audit being performed?

Regions Bank is committed to providing attractive and affordable benefits to all of our eligible associates throughout the year. Each year, we make improvements to our benefit plans, and we also evaluate ways to minimize cost increases. One way to achieve and maintain lower costs is to ensure that only eligible individuals are covered under our benefit plans. Ineligible dependents make healthcare claims that drive up benefits costs for those who are eligible, leading to higher premiums for all employees.

What happens if I do not submit the required documentation by the due date? 

If you do not submit the Verification of Dependent Eligibility and all supporting documentation by the due date, your dependents’ benefits coverage will be canceled, and you will become responsible for any claims that have been paid on their behalf. You will not be refunded any premiums that were paid on behalf of the ineligible dependent.

Is this an opportunity for me to make changes to my benefit coverage? 

No. This is not an enrollment period; other than removing ineligible dependents, you will be unable to make changes to your benefits coverage. This process is an eligibility verification of dependents currently covered under one or more of your benefits.

Can electronically submitted tax returns, such as Turbo Tax, be submitted as verification documentation of marriage? 

Yes, a printout of your prior year’s tax return is acceptable if it lists your spouse.

Can I black out the financial information on my tax return?

Yes, you can black out all financial information on your tax return.

How do I obtain birth and marriage certificates if I do not have them? 

For links to information about each state’s requirements for obtaining birth and marriage certificates, please access cdc.gov/nchs/w2w.htm.

What if I have to request supporting documentation and won’t have it by the due date? 

Contact Corporate Benefits to let them know you are waiting on documentation.

Where should I send my documentation?

If sending documentation via Interoffice:
Regions Corporate Benefits
Benefits Eligibility Verification
Fax: 205-261-0660

If sending documentation via U.S. Mail:

Regions Corporate Benefits
Benefits Eligibility Verification
250 Riverchase Parkway East
Hoover, AL 35244 

Can I send copies of my documentation or must I send originals? 

An original signed copy of your Verification of Dependent Eligibility must be submitted, but please send only copies of your supporting documentation. Anything submitted to Corporate Benefits will not be returned.

Need Help?

Contact the HR Connect Team at 1-877-562-8383.